If you really want to find out if others understand your journey, it’s possible. There are other moms raising kids with mental illness (MI).
Reaching Out To Other Moms
Why do we want to know we’re not alone? Maybe it’s because:
- It helps to know there actually are other mothers who know what it’s like to raise a child with MI.
- We want to know that there are other moms (like me) who do all they can to help their child with MI, and still have times of turmoil. That tells us that those behaviors truly are challenging. It’s not that we have overlooked something. Caring, attentive mothers still have to face HARD times. There’s a limit to what we can do. That’s the nature of the illness.
- We need to know other moms face the same struggles and still survive. That gives us some hope.
- Moms in similar situations can show us other ways we can help our kids.
- We can find empathy without judgement.
So I searched for like-minded moms. I stumbled on a blog where a mom, Christina Halli, shared her story. For one year she posted messages relating what it’s like to raise a son with numerous conditions. That’s right, throughout the years, her son has displayed symptoms of MANY different conditions associated with MI.
What struck me was how many people visited her blog, and shared their situations. Her blog was filled with TONS of stories, each one more horrific than the next. Each one just as heart-wrenching.
As I read the countless comments posted, my heart filled with sorrow. My eyes puddled up with tears. Because I could relate to their private pain. So could you.
Here are a few links for you to read for yourself.
On HealthyPlace.com you’ll find Christina Halli’s personal story called, Life with Bob.
Christina began her story with a brief introduction, About Christina Halli, Author of the Life with Bob Blog.
A sample of one of Christian’s posts: “A Letter to My Son with Mental Illness on Mother’s Day”
Reaching Out to Find Something More
My experiences have shown me that horrific details are just part of my story. God is a HUGE part of the picture.
We can grasp what we really need. Just reach out and grasp what God offers.
- When faced with discouragement, He gives divine endurance.
- When faced with horror, He loads us with abundant hope.
- When faced with uncertainty, He uplifts us. The God of the future assures us He’s got it all under control He’s still on the throne.
- When faced with helplessness, He provides heavenly wisdom and holy promises.
- When faced with chaos, He responds with compassion.
- When faced with overwhelming needs, He overwhelms us with His love and protection.
- In our sorrow, we experience the supernatural peace of God.
- In our loneliness, we feel the Lord’s presence.
- In our fears, we find a faithful God.
Think it’s just for me? He’s reaching out to you, too!